Why Waterloo Wireless?
If you want unlimited internet with fast speeds, you’ll want Waterloo Wireless – for streaming services, playing games or using the internet for regular browsing. We have packages available based on your usage to best suit your needs – with no contracts or hidden fees. *
* Special promotions may require a contract and are excluded from regular services
My internet is not working. What should I do?
Please perform the following steps if your internet stops working:
1. Make sure all the cables are plugged in. This includes the PoE device and the antenna cables.
2. Reboot the internal wireless router. Please do not reboot the antenna as the antenna has logs that help in troubleshooting.
3. Check to see if the internet is working on other devices. If yes, it could to that one device.
4. Bypass the router and run a speed test to determine if the internal wireless router is causing the issue. (Bypassing the router is explained below.)
5. If none of the preceding steps resolve the issue, please contact us and we will check the connection for you.
How do I bypass the router?
To bypass the router, you will need a laptop/desktop near the router that has an ethernet port. Most Apple laptops do not have an ethernet port.
Please do the following:
1. Unplug the PoE cable from the back of the router.
2. Connect the PoE cable to the desktop/laptop directly.
3. Check for internet access.
4. If bypassing the router provides internet, it could be the router that is the issue.
What does the PoE device look like?
We use two types of PoE devices: Y-splitter and PoE black device
What does the setup for the internet look like?
What is the coverage area for Waterloo Wireless?
Waterloo Wireless is one of the major internet service providers for South Western Ontario, providing wireless internet services to rural communities and the countryside. We also offer fibre, cable and DSL connections where available. Please reach out to our support team to enquire further.
Can I use Netflix and other streaming services?
Yes, you can use the internet connection for streaming Netflix. According to Netflix, here is the internet speed you'll need for downloads:
• 0.5 Megabits per second – Required broadband connection speed
• 3.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for SD quality
• 5.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for HD quality
• 25.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for Ultra HD quality
How long is the contract for my service?
Unless you become a customer during a promotional period that requires a long-term commitment (i.e. 1 or 2 years), Waterloo Wireless does not bind you to a contract.
What plans do you offer?
All our internet plans are listed on our main page: https://www.waterloowireless.com.
The geographical area is a deciding factor for what speeds can be pushed to a particular location. Please note that the HighSpeed 25 package is only available in select areas.
What is the maximum data I can download in a month?
We provide unlimited data services with no cap on the connection.
What method of payments do you take?
Several payment options are available:
• Visa Credit/Debit
• American Express
• Online Banking (major financial institutions)
• Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
• Cash (in person at our office)
Can I use my existing router with Waterloo Wireless?
Yes, you may use your existing router. We recommend using a modem not older than 3 years.
What router do I require to use your services?
You can get a standard residential wireless router from Staples, Best Buy, etc. The most popular modems are TP-Link, D-Link and NETGEAR.
What are the possible reasons for internet slow downs?
The most common reason for the internet being slow is that the connection is “maxing out” on the speeds.
What is “Maxing your Package?”
If all of your available bandwidth is being used up, processes will slow down. For example, you have a 5Mb HighSpeed Package:
• Person A in your household streams HD video, maxing out the 5Mb speed limit.
• Person B attempts to stream HD video as well, but the data cannot fit through the 5Mb queue.
• The video buffers indefinitely or intermittently.
These types of situations can be mitigated by setting speed limits inside your router for each device in your home. Not all routers have these settings available. If you need help, please refer to the manual for your home router.
Where can I run a reliable speed test?
Please visit http://www.speedtest.net. The most reliable way to perform a speed test is by connecting a single PC to the PoE device that powers your antenna. This eliminates your internal network setup or other users/devices in your home from limiting your speed.
What external factors can have an effect on my wireless internet service?
Many different external factors can affect your wireless internet connection; for example:
• Physical Obstructions: hills, trees (can be seasonal), walls, fences
• Weather Conditions: extreme heat or cold, high winds, rain/fog-fade, thunderstorms
• Interference: home routers, wireless broadcasting equipment
Can I connect to more than one computer at a time?
Yes, you may connect multiple devices to the internet at the same time. However, if all the devices are online and in use simultaneously this may cause a slow down.
Is it possible to obtain a static IP address?
Yes, your connection can be assigned a static IP for a minimal monthly cost.